這本書是由 Kim Bjørn 帶領著作，PUSH TURN MOVE 可以說是電子音樂界的講義，裡面集結了眾藝人、以及由新穎的設計者所製造的樂器，並且詳細介紹了電子樂是如何改變這世界。如果你是想踏入電子音樂界、或是想要轉換跑道的人，一定要來看看這本書，這本書裡會告訴大家各種種類的音樂設備和軟體，幫助你去探索電子音樂。
1. 蒐集了當代超過 100 種的合成器、鼓機、Dj 控制器、軟體，甚至是 Apps 都有！
2. 超過 25 種操作電子樂器、控制器介面的原則和技巧。
4. 介紹數位音樂工作站、grids、軟體合成器、collaborative、radial、gestural 等等的概念
6. 超過 20 位藝人、品牌、創造者的經驗，來了解他們如何改變這電子音樂世界
目前他們訪問了數個重要人物，而且還持續在新增！像是鼎鼎大名的 Dave Smith－製造合成器的傳奇人物。也有訪問來自瑞典的合成器品牌 Elektron 的 Daniel Troberg、DJ TechTools 的 Ean Golden。除了人物之外，也有一些品牌專訪，像是以製作 OP-1 及 Pocket Operator 系列出名的 Teenage Engineering，書的封面就有 Teenage Engineering 的微合成器，此外還有一些大家耳熟能詳的品牌如：Arturia、Roland 和 Ableton 等等。
The new book on electronic music instruments.
Meet the artists, designers, makers and their instruments and see how they have shaped the world of electronic music.
PUSH TURN MOVE was funded on Kickstarter within an hour on April 18th and eventually reached 1,300% funding from more than 1,400 people by May 22nd. Since many missed out the Kickstarter special offers, we have decided to give everyone the chance to get a copy at a reduced price until the book is retailed from October 2017.
352 pages in full color. Hardcover. Dimensions: 24.5 x 24.5 cm (9.6 x 9.6 inches). Printed in Denmark on 150g acid-free quality paper.
Overall chapters and structure
- Foreword by electronic music pioneer Jean-Michel Jarre
- Sound: How is sound visualized in music soft- and hardware?
- Control: How can you shape sound through tangible and digital controls? Learn about different controls (knobs, faders, touch strips, buttons, screens etc.) and their variations and possibilities.
- Layout: How do you organize an interface for sound-creation? Get an overview of design principles and techniques for designing interfaces of electronic music instruments and controllers.
- Concept: How has different instrument-makers solved the challenges of visualizing and controlling sound? See examples of hardware, software, apps etc. of Digital Audio Workstations, Grid-based sequencing, Modular Synthesizers, Collaborative tools, Radial, Gestural interfaces etc.
- User: How do you design the best possible experience for musicians? Learn about user-centered interface design, usability, workflows, experience design etc.
- Time: How did we get to where we are? Read about the evolution and revolutions of electronic music interfaces - from the Theremin and EMS VCS3 to Buchla, the Minimoog, TB303, Yamaha Tenori-On, Monome, Ableton Live and various other hard- and software that have shaped electronic music making through the times.
PUSH TURN MOVE is written by Danish designer, author, lecturer and electronic musician Kim Bjørn and edited by Mike Metlay, editor at Recording Magazine and Paul Nagle, reviewer at Sound on Sound Magazine.
Meet the makers, artists, and designers
- Dave Smith, Dave Smith Instruments, legendary synth-maker.
- Suzanne Ciani, Buchla artist and electronic music pioneer.
- Roger Linn, Roger Linn Design, legendary maker of the Linndrum, MPC-grid, Linnstrument and others.
- Keith McMillen, Keith McMillen Instruments.
- Jordan Rudess, Artist, Keyboard player in Dream Theater, Founder of Wizdom Music (GeoShred and other iPad apps).
- Richard Devine, Notable sound designer, and modular artist.
- Olivier Gillet, Mutable Instruments (Eurorack Format Synthesizer Modules).
- Ean Golden, DJ, and controllerist, founder of DJ TechTools and designer of several DJ-related products.
- Ableton: Gerhard Behles, CEO, and Founder. Ed Macovaz, Head of Design. Jesse Terry, Push Product Owner.
- Brian Crabtree, Founder of Monome - iconic grid-based controllers and now also Eurorack products.
- Moldover, Artist and controllerist, originator of several controllers and collaborative instruments.
- Axel Hartmann, Product- and synthesizer designer (Matrixbrute, 20, Blofeld, Microbrute, Moog Phatty, and more)
- Dorit Chrysler, Thereminist, composer, producer, and singer. Co-founder of the New York Theremin Society and America's first school for the theremin.
- Native Instruments: Gösta Wellmer, Head of UI Design at Native Instruments and others.
- DiViNCi, Producer, and artist.
- Skinnerbox, Electronic music makers, and software designers.
- Teenage Engineering, CEO Jesper Kouthoofd
- Propellerhead Software
- Synthstrom Audible
- Sonic Geometry
- Make Noise
- ... and many others